Hi smichr and all,

Thank you for your quick response.
Does that mean that the method 'refine_root()' of class 'Poly' is not
capable of finding isolation intervals for all real roots of an arbitrary
polynomial?
If so, this would, unfortunately, render the method 'refine_root()' useless
for my application.

Maybe I should say a few more words about what I need.
Given a set of polynomials, I need a list of all real roots of all
polynomials in the set ordered by value.
I don't need a good rational or floating point approximation of the roots,
but I need the ordering of the roots to be 100% correct for any thinkable
set of polynomials (of a predefined maximum degree and for integer
coefficients).

I think, an implementation that gives me an ordering of the roots which is
guaranteed to be correct with the lowest computational complexity would
solve my problem best.

'refine_root()' seemed to me to be perfectly suited for this purpose
because I only refine a root until there is no overlap of the isolation
interval with any of the other roots isolation intervals anymore.

Any (alternative) way of solving my problem using sympy is highly
appreciated!

Would it be possible (and make sense) to extend the 'refine_root()' method
of class Poly in order to guarantee that it always produces a refined
interval for an arbitrary real root of an arbitrary polynomial?

If yes, would it require a big effort to implement it?

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the concepts used in the
implementation of 'refine_root()'. But I would be happy if someone could
point me to some literature to these concepts so I can maybe contribute in
improving 'refine_root()'.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
Heiner