Hi,

This topic is extensively discussed earlier in mailing list. What I
have here [0] is essentially correct though inefficient implementation
of addition and subtraction operations for sparse matrix. This is the
time where I need to think about adding domains support to matrices. I
can think of two approaches to attack this problem--

1. Naive approach : adding domain as a third parameter like add(m1,
m2, K) and then using domain's arithmetic operations in the body.
2. Just continue the way it is and adding domains in the system later
as appropriate.

I think 2 is the way to go because of the uncertain design of the
system[1]. As far as I understand, adding domains means we are
simulating static typed languages. I think we should not mimic Polys
Design as it is, because  I am afraid what worked for polys may not
work here[2]. I personally think that I should keep submitting small
changes and if we can find with sufficient confidence how domains are
to be incorporated. I am now working assuming that this is a
completely open problem.

-Saurabh

[0] https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/2190
[1]