On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Matthew Rocklin <mrock...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Our code printers support only a narrow set of SymPy.  More advanced
> mathematical operations like `Gamma` go completely unsupported and even give
> wrong results.
>
> This is easy to fix.  Find a SymPy operator, figure out how to print it in
> C, and make a commit.  Here is an example with the Gamma function
>
> https://github.com/mrocklin/sympy/commit/1559ceaf9e91ef798db4b54a7eae3fb3ec3e7eaa

A test is missing. ;) Is there an example how to test this? At the
very least I guess we should
just try to generate the code, to make sure the Python code runs.

> If anyone wants to slack off for a few minutes and make a little
> contribution this one is perfect.
>
> What are the SymPy functions that should be supported?  How does one compute
> them in C?
>
> Beta, fact, bessel functions, ....  What others?  This isn't my specialty.

Fortran has some of these builtin, and for the rest or in C you have
to use libraries. Since very library might have a different syntax /
argument order, I am not sure how to handle those. We can maybe
provide a dictionary to the user so that he can specify his preferred
names for special functions?

Ondrej