I just pushed some changes to the development workflow page
(https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/development-workflow) to
recommend merging instead of rebasing. I think we should recommend
merging in almost all situations, unless there are some really bad
changes that should be rebased out (like accidentally committing some
binary file or something), or if the commit messages are really bad.

Rebasing is a good way to lose data, create commits that do nothing
near what they say they do, create duplicate commits, make reviewers
lives difficult (because you can't tell which commits you've already
reviewed in a pull request), and just generally mess up git newbies.
Merging doesn't result in any of these things, and when someone does
manage to mess a git merge up, it's at least possible to see what they
did.

So I contend that we should stop telling people to rebase, and only to
recommend merging.

By the way, other parts of that development workflow page could use
some love if there are any volunteers.  I've already started working
on a few places, and it would be great if people could look at those
as well (for example, I wrote a section on commit messages).