I'm currently running into problems with imports.

Problem 1: Relative imports don't work in 2.6.
"from .module import blah" works, but "from ..module import blah" does not.

That's really a pity, I'd be all for doing all imports in a relative fashion, but if 2.6 doesn't support it, I'd suggest going back to absolute imports.

SUGGESTION:
Postpone using relative imports until we drop the last Python version that does not support them fully.

Problem 2: Most Sympy modules do most of their imports through
"from sympy import blah", and don't care what those modules come from.

This is fragile because whether a "from sympy" import will work depends on whether you're inside an __init__ module or not, and if there, whether the code of the module defining "blah" has already run or not. I.e. you can't reorder import statements freely due to implementation details inside the imported modules.

SUGGESTION:
Eliminate the use of "from sympy import" /inside SymPy itself/.
User code and example code should still use "from sympy import".

Voices? Opinions?