> We can already solve that one using LambertW (but we need to implement
> all the branches,
> https://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/detail?id=4006).

Oh, that was just an example. In this case on can
simplify the TransRootOf object.

> Can these work with trig functions (via equivalence from complex
> exponentials)?

Without going to the details, yes. But it depends on
the arguments, things with infinitely many oscillations
will cause heavy difficulties. In fact the definition
of "tame expression" is

  "An elementary expression is tame if the arguments
  of its trigonometric subexpressions are bounded."

See def 1.5 and example 1.6 from "Real Root Isolation
for Tame Elementary Functions" for the details.

> A more classic example of a root that can't be
> expressed in closed-form is cos(x) = x.

Except if we define another special function
for that ;-) It depends all the time on what
exactly "closed form" means.

The integral of exp(-x**2) can be done in closed
form but the form is not elementary as you know.