On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 5:57 AM, Stefan Krastanov <stefan.krasta...@yale.edu
> wrote:

> > Firstly I would like to discuss about writing/fixing/ extening the
> backends
> > for the plotting module
> > of Sympy. Currently Sympy makes use of pyglet for plotting 3D plots.
>
> For quite some time pyglet is not used. The code is still there, but
> the new plotting module does not use it. The code is not tested
> anymore either, so it might already be broken. Removing the pyglet
> module completely is an option if the latest matplotlib works well
> with 3D.

So, Currently matplotlib works only for 2D or for both 2D and 3D but not
well with 3D.

Could you provide with some idea so that matplotlib works well with 3D. We
are
currently having the backend of matplotlib.

https://github.com/NitinAgarwal/sympy/blob/master/sympy/plotting/plot.py

> > Since
> > it is mentioned that
> > we can add backends : matplotlib, Google Chart API link, pyglet, asciart,
> > d3.js and mayavi.
> > I think working on this would be better. I had tried my hands working
> with
> > the d3.js and mayavi
> > backend and can start off working on this after seeking appropriate
> guidance
> > from the mentor.
>
> Sounds as a plan. Be sure to check how much of this is already done
> (or can be done) in matplotlib itself. We do not want to reinvent the
> wheel.

Yes I am thinking to implement a backend for d3.js and mayavi but I would
like to
know which would be more appropriate. I had looked at the matplotlib
backend
currently implemented.

So which one shall I start working on : backend for d3.js or backend for
mayavi.

> > Since after the addition of the d3.js and mayavi, I don't think we would
> > require pyglet module
> > for plotting.
>
> I agree that if we have mayavi we will not need pyglet (it is harder
> to install and of lesser quality).
>
> > D3.js and mayavi can handle both plotting of 2D and 3D plots.
>
> D3.js can not handle 3D well. mayavi is not useful for 2D.

So atlast we need to have the backends for both d3.js and mayavi
to improve the plotting module for sympy.