Theres no restriction on that as such. Its basically just for the
organization people to see that you are okay with the basics and are
comfortable (atleast somewhat) with the SymPy codebase. Whether its a bug
fix or functionality addition is upto you - as long as you add/modify the
relevant docstrings (if needed), add tests and stick to the coding styles.
Reviewers can help you with this, once you send a PR.