On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 6:39 AM, Sergey Kirpichev <skirpic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, March 1, 2014 5:35:01 PM UTC+4, Avichal Dayal wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps, something to indicate an error.
>>
>> But there are instances where series(sin(x), x, oo) is used by other
>> methods
>> For e.g.:- gruntz((sin(x) + cos(x)/x**2, x, oo) tries to find that series
>> If we raise an error, then those limits won't work (which should)
>

> Limit may work, if we implement algorithms to solve this kind
> of problems.   gruntz() wont work, but it's expected.

I think the Gruntz algorithm actually might work for these as well ---
at the point after doing the expansion
in terms of omega, when you are determining the limit x->0, you just
need to be able to handle cases where
sin/cos are oscillating, but bounded. Depending on the case, the
result can either be finite, e.g.
x*sin(1/x) when x->0, or oscillating, then the limit doesn't exist. Etc.

Ondrej

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CADDwiVBzGDKOigJc7S3Rc3931zZWHcdJxufZ8bvcc23v%2Bx%3DBfQ%40mail.gmail.com.