On Saturday, March 8, 2014 4:23:50 AM UTC+1, Matthew wrote:

> I do like the idea of dispatch.  I'm not sure that I understand the rest
> though.  Maybe I need a more explicit example.  We'll probably have to
> convert back at some point.

As soon as there is multiple dispatch, an approach similar to this one
could be devised:
http://julia.readthedocs.org/en/latest/manual/conversion-and-promotion/

For me an example of shared functionality might be indexing.  Many matrix
> expressions can be reduced to indexed expressions.  Operations like matrix
> multiply could be written more generally as contractions.  These
> contractions might mean something very different on a Matrix, a
> MatrixExpression, or a Tensor* but we might be able to find simplifications
> that are common to all.

Tensors defined in *sympy.tensor.tensor* do not define components by
default, they only store index-types, index-symmetries and commutation
symmetries of tensors. The only common feature with n-dimensional arrays is
the number of indices. I think that the shared common feature would then be
just the number of indices, unless you're willing to create a structure
with many optional features.

I would not concentrate the efforts on a tensor core, rather a system of
easiness of conversion/promotion of types would be more beneficial.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/b16e45b1-85de-4033-bb67-e0547142559c%40googlegroups.com.