On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Matthew Rocklin <mrock...@gmail.com> wrote:
> S.Integers._contains(self, other) just calls ask(Q.integer(other))

It should raise an exception when ask() returns None.

> S.Reals is actually just Interval(-oo, oo).  Interval._contains depends on
> the < and > operators.  It returns true because the following return true
> In [9]: x < oo
> Out[9]: True
>
> In [10]: x > -oo
> Out[10]: True

It would be better to use ask and Q.real. The inequalities let you put
complex variables in them, because otherwise it would be annoying to
have to always use x = Symbol('x', real=True). But it leads to
incorrect results in this case.

By the way, I didn't know that the sets use exclusively the new
assumptions (assuming that is indeed what you are saying here). Given
what I've seen in the new assumptions, I'm not so sure this is such a
hot idea (namely, the handlers have a ton of mathematical
inaccuracies), but it's nice that they actually are used anywhere
nonetheless.

Aaron Meurer

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAKgW%3D6Kw671B%2B4XKcyV%2BeMLY3gffy%3DGqiAKrqVwjOEswXnRS6A%40mail.gmail.com.