On Friday, June 6, 2014 2:16:57 AM UTC-7, F. B. wrote:

> On Friday, June 6, 2014 2:36:34 AM UTC+2, jeanbi...@gmail.com wrote:
>>

>> var('A,B,C,D,u,v,qi,qf')
>> qi = 1/(u-I*v)
>> qf = (A+B/qi)/(C+D/qi)
>>

> First of all, you don't need to declare *qi* and *qf* in var( ... ),
> because they get overwritten in the next expressions.
>
> By the way, maybe you mean that A, B, C, D, u, v are real? What about this:
>
> var('A,B,C,D,u,v', real=True)
>
> expand(1/qf, complex=True) looks much nicer.

This is exactly what I was trying to do/get!  The answer matches my hand
calc. and Mathematica perfectly.

I wasn't aware that variables could be explicitly declared in this manner -
very good to know.

Thank you for the quick response.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/67f50a11-b443-452d-af16-ab59fc83e9bb%40googlegroups.com.