On Sunday, June 8, 2014 3:38:23 AM UTC+2, Matthew wrote:

> > I think that SymPy needs a better term rewriting system. And also a
> better pattern matcher.
>
> @Franz  Are you interested in doing work in this area?

Maybe the best we can do is to set up a page on SymPy's wiki to propose an
efficient API to replace the current one. I would like to see more of
expression manipulation capabilities in SymPy, maybe resembling those of
Wolfram Mathematica.

I think that a good starting point would be to look at their API:

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/guide/Patterns.html

In any case, I don't find myself comfortable with SymPy's idea of a
mathematically-aware pattern matcher, it ends up to have a very ambiguous
behaviour with an ill-defined attempt set of substitutions. Pattern
matchers should be structural, with conditionals and optional wilds to give
more advanced mathematical matchers.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/5483da0c-02bc-4bc6-a3d0-8b6aacbe3931%40googlegroups.com.