On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Anton Akhmerov
<anton.akhme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ondrej and Aaron,
>
> Thanks for the replies.
>

> On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:38:15 AM UTC+2, Ondřej Čertík wrote:
>>
>> Agreed, we should do that.
>>
>> In C++, which allows even less freedom than Python,
>> I just created a FunctionSymbol class in CSymPy, you use it like:
>> FunctionSymbol("a", b). The string "a" represents the name of the
>> function, and you apply
>> it to "b". The idea behind naming is that Symbol is "b", so
>> FunctionSymbol is the function
>> symbol "a".
>>
>> Ondrej
>

> I have a question about the implementation details (and pardon my ignorance
> about the overall sympy structure). I can imagine two alternative
> representations of function calls:
> * The original function object or its copy with args attribute set. As far
> as I understand from the fact that the function name is stored as a string,
> this is the implementation that Ondrej described.
> * A container storing both the function and its arguments.
>
> I cannot easily figure out which one is more logical. A python container (C
> reference) seems to be easier to maintain from the programming side: since
> there is no copying involved, changing the function assumptions or
> implementation would ensure that all of its calls will be updated as well.
>
> Several aspects that aren't as easy for me to evaluate are the interaction
> of each implementation with the following:
> * Built-in functions, including the basic ones like Add
> * Differentiation/integration
> * Assumptions
> * Printing

The key thing is that the function is rebuildable from its func and
its args (see below).

The printing uses the name of the class to dispatch, so that may need
to be modified if it doesn't work properly (I'm not sure how it works
exactly).

> Another aspect that I wonder about is the interface of Expr object or even
> that of Basic. Both of those have properties func and args, so they actually
> implement everything that's needed from a FunctionCall (a container that I
> suggested above). The only extra convention that is used (and that's what
> generates all the headache with the function calls) is that the type of any
> instance of expression is the same as its func property. It seems that
> removing the convention that type(x) == x.func would simplify a lot of
> things.

This actually isn't the convention. It's only what is used 99% of the
time. The convention is that expr.func(*expr.args) == expr.

There is actually some debate about certain aspects of this (see
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Args-Invariant), but I think the
func and args part is not debated.

There is only one instance I know of in SymPy currently where
expr.func != type(expr), and that is for AppliedPredicate (like
Q.positive(x)).

Aaron Meurer

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAKgW%3D6LDMje7nDOwN-id3fJgt0ZJ9BicPkz7h7kRNwHWyXXqRg%40mail.gmail.com.