signsimp didn't seem to help. I'll try to get a gist of the expression up
tomorrow, it's so huge I haven't succesfully ran simplify on it. However, I
had the same thing happen with a readable expression. The issue was
something like:

>>> expr = sin(a)/tan(a)
>>> expr.subs(a, 0)
nan
>>> expr = expr.trigsimp()
>>> expr
cos(a)
>>> expr.subs(a, 0)
1

Based on the form of equations of motion, I assume it's something along
this line where a trig identity needs to be subbed out. For large
expressions, trigsimp is too slow to actually use, but I can't see a way
around it. I tried all methods of trigsimp (interestingly `fu` is faster
for small expressions, but `matching` is faster for large). Looking through
to see if I can find a way to generate more compact expressions to attempt
to avoid this end result.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/b744450a-9410-4146-bceb-525dd1d44e42%40googlegroups.com.