On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 6:32:56 AM UTC-7, Harsh Gupta wrote:

> The last meeting with Matthew implanted a really cool idea about solving
> equations. Suppose we have an equation f(x) which has finitely many
> solution
> a1, a2, a3, ... an. Then we can say that the solutions of equation f(x) =
> 0 are
> equivalent to the solutions of the equation `(x - a1)*(x - a2) ... (x - an)
> = 0`. Where it is trivial to extract the set {a1, a2, ... , an} from the
> final
> equation.

I don't see that this buys you anything more powerful than a structure that
says the
solution set is   x=a1  OR x=a2  or x=a3....
... another kind of equation
and if you get to an infinite set, having a notation  (Not a product...)
for a set
{n*pi | n in integers}  would be more generally useful..

This heuristic stuff really can be replaced by patterns for different
classes of
problems, and the strategy of top-down recursive decomposition enables you
to do
whatever you are likely to come across as a method.  For many people the
interesting parts of solving are those
which have to do with algorithms that can be done more or less efficiently
when the obvious way is very inefficient.

The ideas is to see equation solving techniques as transformation on

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/7218a91e-ff03-4597-a52a-27a914cca39e%40googlegroups.com.