> That being said, we do that in Theano. Putting a limit on the exponent
> that you do that would allow to don't loose too much precission for big
> exponent.

Yes, that sounds like a good idea. Did you make any investigation on what
is a suitable limit?

> I do like the specialized function idea, as it can easily be done using
> our current framework. Instead of linking to pow in math.h by default for
> integer exponents, we can use a specialized integer exponent function that
> is printed by the codeprinter (separate header file? In the header file? In
> the .c file? Not sure the best spot). This way the user can override our
> default as they normally would, and requires no additional kwargs. If pow
> is overridden by the user, it will not be included in the code printout.
> Easy, simple, and requires no user facing changes.

I agree that it's a good idea. I guess a single header which is included is
easiest to start with?
Should the functions be implemented in C? or C and Fortran? Or C++ even?
Are there any other functions except pow that needs special implementation?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/71901489-7c72-406c-973c-04f969aa3f9b%40googlegroups.com.