Thanks for all the replies:

Aaron Meurer:
I tried preview.  It looks like a LaTeX installation is required and on
this particular system I'm on, I am not allowed to install it - same with
the other suggested package.  Is there a workaround, perhaps directing the
use of MathJax?

Jason Moore:
I looked at the source code you suggested and did some experimentation.  It
led me to:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24223695/python-spyder-display-symbolic-math

This is tantalizingly close to what I'd like.  It works for some
expressions such as the one in the SO example.

from IPython.display import Image, displayfrom IPython.lib.latextools import
latex_to_png

eq = r'F(k) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) e^{2\pi i k} dx'
data = latex_to_png(eq, wrap=True)
display(Image(data=data))

Expressions involving the \left and \right operators return errors:
eq = r'\begin{bmatrix}\frac{1}{2 a} \left(- b + \sqrt{- 4 a c +
b^{2}}\right), & - \frac{1}{2 a} \left(b + \sqrt{- 4 a c +
b^{2}}\right)\end{bmatrix}'

ValueError:
\begin{bmatrix}\frac{1}{2 a} \left(- b + \sqrt{- 4 a c + b^{2}}\right), & -
\frac{1}{2 a} \left(b + \sqrt{- 4 a c + b^{2}}\right)\end{bmatrix}
^
Unknown symbol: \begin (at char 0), (line:1, col:1)

There is another case where \left and \right cause errors without there being a
matrix in the expression.

In any case, supposing I can generate the PNG.  Is there a way to save the
image programmatically?  (I tab-completed on several of the imported
package functions but nothing jumped out at me).

Thanks,

-- JBB

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/49fdfb37-572d-4e41-89f8-59497568385f%40googlegroups.com.