On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Björn Dahlgren <bjo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 21 November 2014 00:27:51 UTC+1, Aaron Meurer wrote:
>>

>> - Installation for end-users may not be much more difficult, but it does
>> become more difficult for developers and potential developers. Instead of
>> just working in the SymPy directory you have to teach people how to setup.py
>> develop or set up PYTHONPATH and all the gotchas that come with them.
>> - Managing versions of dependencies becomes more complicated. Either all
>> code has to maintain backwards compatibility with older versions of all
>> dependencies, or you have to time releases of all dependencies concurrently
>> so that people can always upgrade in bulk. The latter solution is hardly
>> different from having a single package, except is more complex.
>>

> I like the middle way of using git subtree (not submodule), it allows you to
> keep a sympy local version of (reasonably small) dependencies. I think it
> addresses the above two issues quite well.
>
> As for API breakage, in my world breaking API is ok between 0.x and 0.y, but
> not okay between 1.0 and 1.1, but ok between majors (semantic versioning).
> You could add a message at sympy.org and in the docs that a v1.0 is upcoming
> and that people need to lock down their targeted sympy version in their
> requirements.txt / equivalent.
> Given enough notice it is the equivalent of a deprecation cycle IMHO.

SymPy versions aren't semver versions. If anything, you should delete
the 0 in front of the version and think of it like that.

We aim to avoid backwards compatibility breaks, but as you can see in
the release notes, we do even with our existing "minor" releases. With
any update to SymPy, you should test your code before updating. SymPy
1.0 may contain more breaks than usual, or more dramatic breaks than
usual, but we will still aim to minimize them. I only want to break
things insomuch as we need to to clean things up.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAKgW%3D6K856Y73mwzJHe42ZUe6je%3DFNmv43Pw2C8AhAo%3D4s3now%40mail.gmail.com.