There has been extensive discussion over the years and continuing to today
about
what should be done when a computer algebra system is asked to "solve"
sometime.
The Maxima system mailing list, Mathematica stackexchange, and years of,
well,
mulling over what to do when (say) there are an infinite set of solutions,
or when
the so-called solutions have to be checked, etc.

I don't know whether the GSoC project people studied this, but if not,
there are lots of ideas out there.  some really bad options have been
explored.
RJF

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/a503b9ed-e684-4483-a027-e8f3a1f3b164%40googlegroups.com.