I often work with polynomials (say w.r.t. x) like:

p_expr = a0 + a1*x + a2*x**2

And I use the Poly-Class for that purpose:

from sympy import Poly
# ...
my_ploy = Poly(p_expr, x, domain='EX').

Now, a colleague wants to understand my code in detail. Together we
could not find a place in the docs where the possible arguments for
domain are described. I would have suggested it at [1] but apparently it
is not there.

While looking for that piece of information, we noticed that the docs
for that module is somewhat hard to handle.

* The file is quite long (more than 3000 lines of code)

* The string "Poly" occurs to often to make reasonable use of the search
function of the browser

* Something like a table of contents is missing (for an overview which
functions and classes are documented in this file)

* The docstring for the Poly class gives only very limited explanation:
"Generic class for representing polynomial expressions."

To sum up: it took us quite a while to find the docs of that class in
the module reference for polytools. And even there the information about
domain='EX' was not there.

[1]
http://docs.sympy.org/latest/modules/polys/reference.html#sympy.polys.polytools.Poly

Questions:

* Did we miss some other place in the docs where this can be found?
* Is it possible to (locally) build the docs with a table of contents
for each html-file in the module reference (or increase the TOC depth in
the sidebar)?

Best regards,
Bastian.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/54BFA8C8.3050406%40gmx-topmail.de.