Chris,

Thank you for looking into this! I really appreciate it.

And you are right that det(M) == Mul(*M.eigenvals())

However, if M is positive definite, then sqrt(det(M)) should also equal to
sqrt(lambda1)*sqrt(lambda2)*sqrt(lambda3), where lambda1 - 3 are the
eigenvalues of the matrix. (Because positive-definiteness would mean
det(M)>0, lambda1-3 > 0)

And this is currently where I got stuck...

Shawn

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/75e5a3b9-3888-4af4-81ee-8efefd887653%40googlegroups.com.