Hi,

I just found full source codes of perhaps the first computer algebra
system (CAS) ever, Schoonschip from 1963 by M. Veltman [1] (and
improvements later by other people), that's 52 years ago:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~williams/archive/schoonschip/index.html

See the source code:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~williams/archive/schoonschip/SchipSrc-CR.tar.gz

written in assembly language... Moore info about the code:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~williams/archive/schoonschip/README.txt
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~williams/archive/schoonschip/README-src.txt

And a detailed manual:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~williams/archive/schoonschip/schipman.pdf

The manual is especially interesting to see how the program was used
and what features it had, and it has lots of info how to implement
tensors, gamma matrices etc. in particle physics. I think there is
lots of stuff to learn from it, I am going to read it carefully.

Veltman himself talks about the code on the page 4 at [2].

Ondrej

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martinus_J._G._Veltman

[2]
http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1999/veltman-lecture.pdf