Am Freitag, 20. März 2015 19:13:12 UTC+1 schrieb Aaron Meurer:

> The S() function converts objects into SymPy objects, so S(0) converts
> int(0) to sympy.Integer(0). It is completely redundant in this case,

So you say one would better write 0 in the example? Wouldn't it then lead
to better readability
when the authors of
http://docs.sympy.org/0.7.5/modules/solvers/inequalities.html
use the 0 instead S(0).

> as the 0 would be coerced automatically from the <= with the SymPy
> expression x + 3. The S() function is typically only needed when
> dividing integers, like S(1)/2, as 1/2 would be entirely Python, and
> give a floating point number (or worse, in Python 2, integer
> division). See
> http://docs.sympy.org/latest/tutorial/gotchas.html#two-final-notes-and
> for more information about this.
>
> Aaron Meurer
>
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 11:56 AM, Christoph Kukulies
> <ku...@physik.rwth-aachen.de <javascript:>> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm playing a bit with sympy and reduce_inequations while I'm stumbling
> > about understanding a term:
> >
> > from sympy import Q, sympify as S
> > from sympy.abc import x, y
> > from sympy.solvers.inequalities import reduce_inequalities
> > reduce_inequalities(S(0) <= x + 3, Q.real(x), [])
> >
> > What does S(0) mean here exactly? print S(0) gives me 0, so why not just
> 0

corrected typo that was in my OP  (here)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/596c6d8f-42c2-4f25-b1e9-c471dfc491e5%40googlegroups.com.