Am 24.03.2015 um 22:29 schrieb Aaron Meurer:
On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:36 AM, Joachim Durchholz <j...@durchholz.org> wrote:
Is Meijer heuristic? In that case, I think variation due to changed sort
order would be expected.

Yes, it uses a lot of pattern matching, which is heuristic in nature.

I have tracked down the difference to a flatten() call inside the Mul constructor. After that, Meijer is getting its heuristics in a different order. (I have taken a cursory look at the other test failures, and ~75% seem to be integration-heavy math such as quantum physics.)

Problem is that if we change Mul to not sort its arguments via flatten, this is going to ripple all over SymPy. That's not a labyrinth I wish to enter. (1)

The other approach would be to accept that some unit tests depend on sort order in a superficial way, and to change the unit tests. (2)

Is there a third, better approach?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/5515D91E.7040509%40durchholz.org.