On Monday, 8 June 2015 22:18:09 UTC+2, Aaron Meurer wrote:

> My guess is that limit() doesn't look at assumptions.  Also, limit
> uses real limits, not complex limits (which are much harder to work
> with algorithmically).

Apparently not even Mathematica implements complex limits:

In[1]:= Limit[1/x, x->0]

Out[1]= Infinity

In[2]:= Limit[1/x, x->0, Assumptions -> NotElement[x, Reals]]

       1
Limit::cas: Warning: contradictory assumption(s) x \[NotElement] Reals && 0
< x < ---- encountered.

      4096

              1
Out[2]= Limit[-, x -> 0, Assumptions -> x \[NotElement] Reals]

 I guess that SymPy's *limit( ... )* should raise an exception if the
parameter is not real. Do you agree?

The oo**zoo thing is a bug. Please open an issue in the issue tracker about

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/0b1a4690-d8bc-48b2-8948-52ca2be493b6%40googlegroups.com.