I had to also execute var("b"):

In [1]: var("b")
Out[1]: b

In [2]: simplify(3*b**(1/Integer(3))-3, fu=True)
Out[2]:
  3 ___
3⋅╲╱ b  - 3

It return immediately. Can you run this on your remote machine, let it
run for a while in an IPython notebook and then hit ctrl-c? It should
print a stacktrace. We'll have to debug it.

When you say you use the latest sympy, do you mean the latest release
(0.7.6) or the latest git version
(bf990d085afe47bbdde420c5e2e271a01377c487)?

Ondrej

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CADDwiVDY1MxGWPgjgm3NY5o_0atA75J%3DVoYn9BBWnVR9k-L%3DJw%40mail.gmail.com.