On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 10:26:32 PM UTC+3, Arnaud Usciati wrote:

> Maybe abs() function have to be reconsidered, because I found other issues
> with abs...

All examples above are solved with patch from
 https://github.com/skirpichev/omg/pull/82
(on top of the https://github.com/skirpichev/omg/pull/154)
That should work for sympy with trivial replacements (is_extended_real ->
is_real).

limit(abs(ln(x))-ln(x), x, 2) or limit(abs(ln(x))-ln(x), x, 2, '+') return
> 0 (OK), but limit(abs(ln(x))-ln(x), x, 2, '-') runs endless and I need to
> interrupt it to stop calculating.. Same way with functions :
> abs(cos(x))-cos(x) or abs(sin(x))-sin(x) or abs(sqrt(x))-sqrt(x) for x =
> symbols('x', real=True)

The problem is that nseries constantly emits an Order term and lseries
can't yield anything at all.  But for real,
positive _and finite_ x < 1: abs(ln(2-x))-ln(2-x) == 0.

But if I try : limit(abs(ln(x))-ln(x), x, a, '-') with a = symbols('a',
> real=True), it returns (sign(log(a)) - 1)*log(a). Idem for the direction
> '+' and without direction.

This is an example of lucky answer, due to a non-strict approach in the
calculate_series routine to
the zero-decision problem.  I.e. if sympy can't simplify term to zero, it
thinks term is nonzero.

Wrong idea in general, but in this particular case it happens to be right.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/394800bf-d5b2-42d1-826a-aac73f9f3409%40googlegroups.com.