Hi Sergey,

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Sergey Kirpichev <skirpic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 8:06 PM, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.cer...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Regarding the legal question that arose in this thread, I have asked here:
>> http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/308909/how-to-manage-copyright-notices-from-contributors-to-a-bsd-licensed-project
>
> Ondrej, I'm sorry, but it's a wrong question, do you understand?
>
> You can consider me as a contributor - in case, like with _submitted_
> patch above.  And here you have a clear permission in the very beginning
> of this conversation: please do, whatever you want.  Is this still not clear?!
>
> But in general, my repo - is not a reservoir of public domain code for
> inclusion eventually in sympy, that can be just cherry-pick'ed or
> copy-pasted.  Unless all this wasn't submitted to you by author - I'm not
> your contributor and you have simple BSD-terms, if you really want to
> use that, it's all.
>
> PS:
>> I have asked here
>
> Please respect intelligence of you readers and don't misinform people with
> ridiculous claims that I require from you changing Copyright notice just
> for a few-line patch.

I misunderstood what you said above. I thought you said that we cannot
use your patch without modifying our copyright. Thanks for clarifying
that. Thanks for allowing us to use this specific patch.

The question on stackoverflow stays though --- the question is, if you
fork SymPy (there is over 1300 forks just on GitHub alone), and
whether or not you rename the repository from sympy to something else,
and you keep the license, how do we integrate it back, according to
the license terms. The specific question is about the copyright
notice, whether you can incorporate it as two different files (LICENSE
and AUTHORS) or whether the text must be intact. It is actually not
clear, because you keep the copyright to all patches, whether or not
you acknowledge it, so the copyright notice is actually redundant.
Specifically, your fork is not public domain. Your fork is (currently)
released under the BSD licensed (so you already gave us permission to
use your code by using this license), and git commits with your name
are copyrighted to you, just like other git commits that you also
include are copyrighted to their authors.

Ondrej

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CADDwiVD%2BiKvUvVftvaKocAqGNnzfMSu_tQnCh5RxRY3afmzdJA%40mail.gmail.com.