Hello all,

Recent sympy user here. Need advice on license issues. I am thinking of
writing a library with much in common with sympy but the plan is nowhere
near complete at the moment.
What I would like to know more about is the implications of sympy license.
I am thinking of indiscriminately copying the sympy codebase when and where
I need it. If I read the license correctly, that should be fine if I
license my code under BSD as well. But the problem is, I think I like GPL
more for my purpose. I do not understand the subtlety involved in deciding
between GPLv2 and GPLv3, but let's say I go for GLPv3.

Wikipedia
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License#Compatibility_and_multi-licensing)

seems to suggest that it is okay for me to release my code under GPLv3
(since sympy is BSD-3), but I would appreciate guidance regarding where not
to go overboard with this. For the sake of argument, can I just fork sympy
and just change the license to GPLv3? Does not seem quite right to me.

Also, acknowledgements. Let's say I appropriate a sizable part of sympy (as
I intend to). And maybe I have a file called AUTHORS. I think BSD-3 says
that I do not put the names in AUTHORS in the sympy tree in it. I will of
course acknowledge the heavy reliance on sympy in the documentation and
elsewhere, but is there anything more I should do to give credit to
individuals?

End of questions. Just a bit more on what I am trying to do just in case. I
am not currently interested in all the sympy modules but just the core. My
primary goal I think is to experiment with a more simplified representation
of expressions at the expense of usability so that I can provide more
control over the generation of LaTeX code.

Thanks in advance and thanks for this awesome program.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/9cf26a4a-c748-41f3-975c-5b5722e17c83%40googlegroups.com.