Hi to all who read this,

I know that the topic of second order PDE solvers has already been
discussed in this forum but I thought that I would raise it again because I
didn't see anything showing it had been resolved. I am currently taking a
degree in mathematics with a minor in computer science and am enrolled in
an introductory PDE course this term. I noticed that the pde solver as it
currently stands only solves first order linear PDEs. I am wondering if it
would be of help if I tried to implement a solver for second order linear
PDEs that are of hyperbolic, elliptic and parabolic classifications. As a
result the classify_pde would also be updated to classify a second order
linear PDE. If this is successful I could also try to use the Fourier
series  or other methods to solve second order linear PDEs and heat and
wave equations. The algorithms would be theoretical as that is how I am
being taught PDEs so as a result the solutions would not be numerical
unless I run into  issues with the theoretical side. I have not yet done
any patches for sympy and so I am unsure if that is required before I can
dig into implementing code in a module.

From,

Karl Deutscher

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/d26b81a9-09e0-4b7e-9be4-694afb4a46ba%40googlegroups.com.