On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 9:07:44 PM UTC-4, Ryan McCampbell wrote:

> Hello, I am Ryan McCampbell, a Computer Science student at the University
> of Virginia.
> I am interested in working on improving the sympy plotting library, as
> mentioned at
> https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2016-Ideas#improve-the-plotting-module.
>
> I am not sure if I can do some of the hard tasks, but I have experience
> with matplotlib and think I could implement many or at least some of the
> suggested features. How many of these do you think would be reasonable for
> a project? And is there any additional information I should know?

Also I was thinking that the plotting functions could be more
embeddable/customizable. Currently the "plot" function picks a backend
(falling back on the "TextBackend" if matplotlib is not installed) and
creates a window automatically. You can postpone it and modify the figure
by setting show=False, but it is a little awkward. I would rather the user
be able to pass in a preexisting mpl figure or axes object to plot on, and
to select between multiple backends. That way you could for instance embed
it in a GUI.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/d70d8cd6-bea0-4c6d-92b9-6fb7c157018b%40googlegroups.com.