I checked there is also a scipy docker image
https://github.com/jupyter/docker-stacks/tree/master/scipy-notebook.
Apparently it ships with sympy 0.7. We can update that. The main idea was
to ship with the minimum packages, so that the size is not much (docker
image are generally big). Amit also wrote in his blog post about FOSSASIA
conference, that it took a considerate amount of time to setup. Though, I
don't really have an idea as to what is the environment at scipy.

On 28 June 2016 at 00:10, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.cer...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Sartaj Singh <singhsarta...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was playing around with docker. It occurred to me that it will be nice
> > have an official sympy docker image. This could be useful in the
> tutorials
> > as people are not expected to install anything but just pull the image. I
> > tried to google and find if there is a sympy image already but I couldn't
> > find much. Do we want something like this? Let me know if it's a good
> idea.
> > I can go ahead and make an image for sympy.
>

> I think that's a good idea. I think all we have to have is a
> Dockerfile and then setup the docker hub to always automatically
> rebuild it when we push to master. And in addition, test the
> Dockerfile with each PR on Travis, to make sure it actually builds.
>
> In the dockerfile, we can have a reasonable minimal installation of
> jupyter notebook + libraries like matplotlib, scipy, numpy, etc.,
> probably via conda. So that it's ready to be used.
>
> On the other hand, I think it's pretty simple to install sympy using
> conda, so perhaps it's not needed. Either way is fine with me.
>
> Ondrej

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CADDwiVBRMOhc-9RBHEbRGNj7nANW76AWmaQ8Jf_HTwFZoTjwrw%40mail.gmail.com

Regards
*Sartaj Singh*