You might want to have a look at
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Development-workflow first (if you
haven't already) and find some issue to solve to satisfy the patch
requirement. If you find an issue somewhat related to your future project,
e.g. with a label physics.mechanics, you'll get familiar with the relevant
code and perhaps get ideas about what needs work.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/a6bad106-db9c-4b8d-bebd-a0d17a4b85bd%40googlegroups.com.