While a lot of issues have people who start working on them, not all of
them would be able to finish work. If you find an issue where there's been
some discussion in the past but no one posted anything recently, chances
are no one's working on it anymore so give it a go. Even if someone does
come along and finds the solution before you, the experience of trying to
figure it out and then seeing how someone else dealt with it can be
valuable. As for making progress, the first bug can take a while, don't be
discouraged by it. Tinker with the code a bit, comment out lines, output
things in random places (e.g. what exactly does function A pass to function
B, do we ever enter this loop, etc.) - eventually you'll get the idea of
what bits do what and work out where things go wrong. And if you have a
concrete question, you can ask on the gitter channel.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/c3a6f5a1-1192-4a50-85c1-8076c319603f%40googlegroups.com.