Edit:  I did find the work on dot products, and it looks like the framework
is solid, which means that implementing other coordinate systems and
allowing the function "dot" to accept these other vector representations
would be a great extension to the current project idea that I would like to
pursue.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/ee9392ca-f485-4bb1-9618-cafec27c6461%40googlegroups.com.