I was hoping that someone could give me some help getting started with the
sympy tensor objects. I'd like to define symbolic objects to represent one-
and two-electron integrals in quantum chemistry with the proper index
permutation symmetries. These are real-valued integrals, so commutation
relations aren't a problem (and, when they are, can be handled by the
physics.secondquant module.

The one-electron integrals are symmetric, i.e. I1[i,j] = I1[j,i], which I
assume should be straightforward.

The two-electron integrals are a little trickier, for I2[i,j,k,l] the
integral is symmetric when i,j are permuted, and/or k,l are permuted,
and/or i,j is permuted with k,l. I've never been able to derive a symbolic
object that captures this, and it would be really convenient, for example,
to derive equations for orbital optimization for different MC-SCF wave
functions.

I'm familiar with techniques to compute the orbitals numerically,
e.g., https://github.com/rpmuller/pyquante2. What I'm interested here is to
derive and simplify equations for the symbolic manipulations of equations
containing these terms. Has anyone done any work on this?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/25eff312-791d-470f-9539-2a555cb0da07%40googlegroups.com.