Thanks Leonid for this quick and helpful answer!

I just have a few follow-up questions:

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 11:38 PM, Leonid Kovalev wrote:
> In SymPy, polynomials have extra structure that distinguishes them from
> generic expressions. a3 * t**3 + a2 * t**2 + a1 * t + a0 is an expression.
> If you create a polynomial in t, it will print with the order of terms being
> from highest to lowest.
>
>     >>> p = sp.Poly([a3, a2, a1, a0], t)
>     >>> print(p)
>     Poly(a3*t**3 + a2*t**2 + a1*t + a0, t, domain='ZZ[a0,a1,a2,a3]')

Ah, that's interesting!

I was actually using a Jupyter notebook with MathJax output most of
the time, and there this is not true!

Same for the raw LaTeX output:

    >>> sp.latex(p)
    '\\operatorname{Poly}{\\left( a_{0} + a_{1} t + a_{2} t^{2} +
a_{3} t^{3}, t, domain=\\mathbb{Z}\\left[a_{0}, a_{1}, a_{2},
a_{3}\\right] \\right)}'

Is this a bug?

> Also, the order can be specified in the print command
>
>     >>> pprint(a3 * t**3 + a2 * t**2 + a1 * t + a0, order='grevlex')
>         3       2
>     a₃⋅t  + a₂⋅t  + a₁⋅t + a₀
>

> or, staying with str format,
>

>     >>> sstrrepr(a3 * t**3 + a2 * t**2 + a1 * t + a0, order='grevlex')
>     'a3*t**3 + a2*t**2 + a1*t + a0'

That's great, I think 'grevlex' is what I want!

I was actually already playing around with 'lex', 'revlex' and
'grevlex', but I got confused at some point.
It looks like this doesn't work if the highest power doesn't have a
symbolic coefficient, e.g.:

    >>> sp.sstrrepr(t**2 + a1 * t, order='grevlex')
    'a1*t + t**2'

I assume there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for that, and in
my case such expressions didn't actually appear yet, so that's fine
for me.

I think I will mainly use 'grevlex' with:

    sp.init_printing(order='grevlex')

But when I'm dealing with expressions that have only the coefficients
and no powers of t in them, e.g.:

    3*a3 + 2*a2 + a1

... then I'll temporarily switch:

    sp.init_printing(order='rev-lex')

Or is this a bad idea?
Or is there a better way to temporarily change the order?

Is there a way to specify the order for a single Jupyter output cell?

> The printing module has a number of printers which support a number of
> settings.

Thanks for the reference to
http://docs.sympy.org/latest/modules/printing.html, that's a very
helpful page.