Hi everyone,

I am a third year student at Grinnell College in Grinnell, Iowa, and I'd
like to
work on expanding Sympy's code generation capabilities. More specifically,
I'd
like to improve how Sympy generates code for handling matrices.

Øyvind Jensen worked on expanding codegen's ability to handle expressions
involving IndexedBases and Matrix in the summer of 2010, so C and Fortran
expressions are able to loop over the arguments of an input array. However,
these languages have libraries that allow abstracting matrix operations in
addition to optimizing them (the ideas page suggests LAPACK, and Øyvind
Jensen
also added support for Python's very own Theano, but this seems very rough).

Since each target language has its own method of handling matricies, right
now
my idea is to extend codegen and its AST and implement the relevant matrix
operations for each language (which seems easier for some more than others,
since e.g. octave already implements many of the operations Sympy
represents).
My question is, how viable is this as a project for a summer? Also, I've
submitted some small pull requests (
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/16369
and https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/16331) to help me familiarize myself
with codegen. Are there any other issues/documentation I should look into?

Thanks!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/f34dff96-3a77-498b-acad-98ec77c09029%40googlegroups.com.