I am a junior year mechanical engineering student in VIT Vellore. I am
interested in working on the continuum mechanics of the beam during summer
as part of gsoc 2019. Till now I have following points to work on-
- Function for calculating torsional stresses. For this I am planning to
compute angle of twist with the help of modulus of rigidity of beam
material. And from that figure out the torsional shear stress induced at
the outer surface of beam.
- Function for calculating bending stresses( both tensile and compressive).
- Function for calculating buckling similar to columns. For this I am
planning to compute Euler's critical load, slenderness ratio and with the
help of those two I will be calculating the stress that causes buckling in
the beam. Also I am thinking about adding self bucking but I am not quite
sure about it.
- Taking factor of safety into account and compute maximum permissible
design stress( both tensile and compressive) as well as maximum permissible
shear stress.
- Add similar implementations for overhanging and double overhanging beams.

Can someone review these ideas or add additional points to these for me to
work during summer.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/934d8ce1-9711-4c80-856a-72b8003b0b70%40googlegroups.com.