Hello,

My name is Tilman. Me (and a friend of mine) are interested in working on
extending and polishing the quantum physics module in SymPy as part of a
university project. We both study Physics (currently in our 2nd year) at
Imperial College London. The project work would be during the next academic
year (so from September). However, I think it would be valuable to get
started with some simple things to get aquatinted with the code base and
process (as well as allowing plenty time to read up on the relevant
subjects).

>From looking through the documentation etc. I get the impression that the
QM module is currently very much a work in progress (especially the quantum
information/ computation bits). From what I can tell, a good thing to get
started on might be adding a few analytic solutions. There is one for the
infinite square well, but none e.g. the harmonic oscillator. Starting with
something very simple like this could be a really good way of getting to
know the process, while focussing on the code etc., before tackling
something more challenging.

My friend and I are meeting someone in the physics department next week to
discuss if this kind of work would be suitable for our project, and it
would be really helpful to get the opinion of someone more closely involved
with SymPy on this matter. (Note that I am also interested in contributing,
should this turn out to not be suitable as part of my university work.)

We are currently writing exams, but in about a month I would love to get
started on some simple things to get a head start on the main project work.

TL;DR (useful pieces of information):

- Interested to work on QM module
- Good experience with Python, especially for scientific computing, as well
as some experience using SymPy to do hard integrals. See specifically these
two repos on my GitHub:
https://github.com/dyedgreen/schroedinger,
https://github.com/dyedgreen/labs-ray-tracing
- Experience with other languages like C, Golang, Ruby, JavaScript
- Mathematics education level: 2nd year Theoretical Physics Undergraduate
- I speak English and German

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

Tilman

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/cc0f0b4c-8d0e-478e-a11f-0aac972179bb%40googlegroups.com.