On Mon, May 20, 2019, at 3:44 PM, Isuru Fernando wrote:

> On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 4:30 PM Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 2:45 PM Isuru Fernando <isu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 3:34 PM Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  >>
> >  >> Thanks. My biggest question has been how we can do it in the cloud.
> >  >> Most CI services run multiple concurrent jobs on the same machine,
> >  >> making the performance inconsistent. Does drone.io let you have a
> >  >> dedicated machine?
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > Drone.io has a shared cloud offering which we don't want. As you
> > mentioned we can buy a cheap dedicated machine and install drone on it for
> > free.
> >  >
> >  > Drone might support dedicated machines on the cloud, but I'm not sure.
> > Travis-CI supports dedicated machines, but we looked at this for
> > conda-forge and they were quite expensive.
> >
> >  I see, so Drone is a CI software, similar to gitlab CI or Azure.
>
> Yes
> >  We
> >  will need to decide which of those is the most appropriate to use.
> >  I've heard good things about GitLab CI. Can it not be used with GitHub
> >  repos?
>
> I though it couldn't, but looks like they do,
> https://about.gitlab.com/handbook/marketing/product-marketing/enablement/github-ci-cd-faq/#open-source-projects-opportunity
> I like Gitlab CI and I know Ondrej has experience setting up Gitlab
> runners on dedicated machines.
>

> >  Regarding the hardware, the question is if there are cloud providers
> >  that provide dedicated machines, and how much they cost. If anyone has
> >  any suggestions for this let me know.
>
> If we go with Gitlab CI with github integration, we can use something
> like https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/dedicated-instances/

I would suggest to go with GitLab CI if at all possible. It's a solid product,
and it can be used with GitHub via mirroring on GitLab:

https://about.gitlab.com/solutions/github/

and it can be run on either dedicated machine, or in the cloud.

I think the way forward is to set this up, and for testing we can use the
runners at gitlab.com which are free. Then we can move to a dedicated machine,
say at linode.com. And finally we can move to our custom server. It's just
about where the GitLab-CI runner executes, the rest of the configuration does
not change.

I can help with this.

Ondrej

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/2fbeb7f2-ecdb-49e3-8797-03a64a6a9242%40www.fastmail.com.