I was thinking more about Aaron's mention of measuring the documentation
use and started wondering how to get more and better insight into what is
good and bad about our documentation. One issue that this conversation
suffers from is that Aaron probably knows more about SymPy that almost
anyone. Ondrej created it in 2006 and I've had 10 years experience with it
too. I think it would be much more valuable to hear from new developers,
non-developer users, and people that don't even know about SymPy. The old
guns certainly have informed and useful insight to give but we simply don't
use SymPy in the same way that these others do. They will likely give us
insight that we really need to make the documentation useful and accessible.

With that in mind, a survey could be designed and sent out to our GSoC
students form the last few years and we could post it to twitter and
mailing lists (ours and others) to get some of the SymPy user base.

For non-sympy users, I can imagine that it would be extremely useful to
watch someone new to SymPy try to use the documentation (like we might see
in a live tutorial). You could give someone a little task like "find the
solution to these linear equations" and see what they do. Or just ask them
to take a look at the documentation website and give some feedback. You
could also ask people to compare our documentation to another similar
software package. Maybe you could ask someone to write a docstring for a
function or class after explaining what it does verbally and see how they'd
write it and ask them why they wrote it in that way. Lot's of ideas here,
but they take concerted time.

Doing things like this could give us some nice data to support or not
support various solutions.

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791