The current implementation of quaternions (sympy/algebras/quaternion)
requires that the arguments are commutative expressions. But I can't see a
good reason for this limitation; quaternions with non-commutative arguments
make perfect sense and do arise in some areas of mathematics. For example,
given any non-commutative real algebra, we can consider its
"quaternionification", i.e. its tensor product with the quaternions over
the real numbers, which can be viewed as quaternions with non-commutative
arguments. For instance, quaternionifications of Lie algebras come up
naturally (at least in my field), and it would be good to be able to
implement this in SymPy.

I would be happy to make the necessary changes to the quaternion module to
allow for quaternions with non-commutative arguments. But before I start
coding, I wanted to see with the SymPy community if this change would be
likely to be accepted.

Thank you.