I had some similar doubts for writing tutorials or filling missing gaps of
docstrings, which I believe is one of the biggest parts of sympy
documentations.
For example, we have high level documentation ideas in
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoD-2020-Ideas.

But I'm unsure if the authors who writes their own tutorials or books about
programming languages are actually technical writers, or programmers
themselves.
So what kind of professional setting we should use if we want to write the
tutorials.