On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 4:47 AM Amit Kumar <dtu.a...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> My biggest concern with the new rules is the reduced stipend, which
>> could have consequences of raising the barrier of who can apply.
>

> Why do you think so? Reduced stipend comes with reduced work isn't it?

Perhaps. I hope that Google makes it clear that the program is
actually only ~1 month of full time work, which can be spread out as
part time work over several months if desired. And even if it is
strictly speaking less money for a smaller amount of time, students
who might want to use GSoC to get some income over the summer may now
need to find an additional source on top of GSoC. It may be easier for
them to just find a single internship somewhere else that pays more.

What I meant by a barrier to who can apply is that people have access
to higher paying summer internships will be less likely to apply to
GSoC. This is already a problem, in my opinion, as we have seen much
fewer applicants from countries like the US, especially relative to
what would be expected given the size of the population of US college
students in CS or math programs. These people are only likely to apply
to GSoC if they prefer it for more idealistic reasons, such as that it
offers the ability to contribute to open source. This can also be
viewed as a positive argument, and Google generally spins it this way.
Whether it is a net positive or not, I'm not sure. I can only say it
definitely does reduce the number of applicants of this type.

On the flip side, a lower amount prevents people who can only afford
to get a job that pays up to a certain amount, because they need the
money. This tends to affect people from lower income countries more.
This effect would be most strongly seen from the change they made a
few years ago to adjust the stipend to be different for each country
based on purchasing power parity. Actually, I was surprised that after
this change, the number of applicants from India did not appear to go
down, even though the stipend was significantly reduced there. I'm not
really sure what to make of that, other than perhaps the effect I
mentioned above that biases against more privileged students is
stronger than the effect against less privileged ones. I don't have
any data to back any of this up, though, only what I have noticed
personally from the changes in applicants to SymPy over the past
several years. I should also note that these do not necessarily only
affect things across country lines, as even within a single country
such as the US, students have a wide range of income levels and other
circumstances that can affect how they view GSoC as something they
would want to apply for.

As an aside, it's unfortunate that this was forwarded to the list
instead of copy-pasted. The responses to this list are now lost in the