On my linux system, I have a .git-prompt.sh file with this snippet of code:

                if [ -d "$g/rebase-apply" ]; then
                        __git_eread "$g/rebase-apply/next" step
                        __git_eread "$g/rebase-apply/last" total
                        if [ -f "$g/rebase-apply/rebasing" ]; then
                                __git_eread "$g/rebase-apply/head-name" b
                                r="|REBASE"

It suggests that there might exits a .git/rebase-apply directory containing
a rebasing file. I would consider removing those (after
securing sufficient backup).

Kalevi Suominen