On 09/05/2021 22:59, gu...@uwosh.edu wrote:
David,

A pip install that does this and more is available through Algebra_with_SymPy <https://pypi.org/project/Algebra-with-SymPy/>. The Algebra with SymPy repository <https://github.com/gutow/Algebra_with_Sympy> also has a Binder link were you can try this out. I have been using it for about 18  months with undergraduates. We are still struggling to agree on a way to incorporate all these features into SymPy. To get some idea of the issues see the draft SymPEP for this <https://github.com/sympy/SymPEPs/pull/1>. What @JSS95 is referring to can by tried by using their PR <https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/21325> in the SymPy repository.

Thanks - that worked nicely!

One immediate issue I have - that may be completely naive - is that Eqn(a,4) prints as

a=4

but its srepr confirms that it is:

Equation(Symbol('a'), Integer(4))

Overloading = in this way feels like a source of confusion - maybe == would be better

Wouldn't it avoid confusion to use a==4, or even a===b, or something else?

David