I'm not sure what that line of code is doing. You'd have to trace
through to see exactly what sequence of tokens can lead to it being
run.

However, I will say in general that it would make sense to me to split
out implicit multiplication via a space and implicit multiplication
via parentheses. It's only the latter that is ambiguous with function
application. Unfortunately, this is a general ambiguity that is
inherent in mathematical notation. Does x(y + z) mean x is a function
of y + z or does it mean xy + xz? There's no way to know from the
notation alone.

Aaron Meurer