Jason,

The reason for the SymPEP is that the PR's for this functionality
engendered a lot of discussion, with no final resolution. Part of the issue
is that the functionality does require making some of the base classes
(e.g. `class Function()`) equation aware. I do that in my package by
extending the function class and then rerunning the `class funcX()`
statements for all functions in `function._all_`. This is a bit sketchy,
but works. Additionally, there is disagreement on how some of the calculus
operations should behave.

Anyway, I would be happy to get this functionality into sympy proper, but
the community needs to come to a consensus on what functionality to include
and how. I have not yet been able to generate that consensus.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Jonathan